Thursday 16 July 2009

Yiddish lullaby and another freebie




The girls have fallen in love with this lullaby, demanding it again and again, and singing along to it, even not knowing the words, it is such a sweet one, and I bet, without understanding all the words you will still know what it is about.
The preview of the QP is linked to 4shared, and the zip file contains a paper, a QP and a sketched boy bird, that I have added to my page, replacing his head with extractions of my girl's faces. Thanks for coming again. Tomorrow there will be another little lullaby for you to enjoy and another page, hopefully! Have a good night, and do sing along, I am sure you will like it, too!

This song is the one the girls want to sing again and again, so I had to go and find the words, luckily the song has a beautiful poetic translation into Russian, and here is the translation of the whole song into English as found on the internet.

By the wayside stands a bent tree;
All the birds have flown away,
And the tree stands deserted.

Turn toward the west, turn toward the east,
And the rest--turn toward the south,
And the tree is abandoned to the storm.

I say to momma--"Listen,
If you don't stand in my way,
Then, one--two,
I'll quickly become a bird.

I'll sit in the tree
And lull it during the winter and comfort it
With a lovely tune."

And momma says, "No, child,"
And weeps bitter tears.
"G-d forbid, you might freeze in the tree."

So I say, "Momma, it's a waste of your lovely eyes,
Because before you know it,
I'll be a bird."

And momma cries, and says "Itzik, my Crown,
As G-d would want, take a scarf with you,
Lest you catch cold.

"Put on your galoshes,
It will be a severe winter.
And take your fur hat, too.
Woe is me!

"And wear you warm underwear, foolish child,
Lest you become a guest of the dead."

I lift my wing, but it's hard...
Too many things, too many things
Has momma put on her weak little fledgling.

I look sadly into my momma's eyes;
Her love did not allow me to become a bird.

By the wayside stands a bent tree.
All the birds have flown away,
And the tree stands deserted.

2 comments:

francis said...

Tres attractive page, magnificent bravo

Barb said...

Very cool!