Friday 4 July 2008

Almost two weeks ago I have started an unexpected "holiday" (this must be the longest stretch as I visited my Dad who had a heart attack) to my homeland, Russia. I had two flights with a three hour wait, and saw two amazing sights, a midnight sunset, and a three o'clock in the morning sunrize. Spectacular.
Kaliningrad airport where I had to wait was not quite finished.

There were ten airplanes worth of people waiting for their flights and to keep them entertained and remind them of the Soviet times and the queues to Lenin's Mausoleum there was just one toilet. Three hours is a long time to sit with your legs crossed... There I witnessed a wonderfully weird scene which involved a young man with rosy cheeks and cheerful disposition, at least before the following conversation which took place in the abovesaid airport with a strange looking young lady wearing a white summer hat, woolen socks and flipflops (not the only items of her clothing, but most memorable).
The dialogue will have a she and a he part, so try and bear with me. He is sitting in the waiting area tucking in his red caviar sandwich.
She is approaching him with a bizzare greeting: You know? Hello.
He: I know (visibly saddening, waiting for her to leave)
She: I washed my hands
He: (uncomitting) hmmm...
She: I did a pee-pee and then I washed my hands (in a proud ringing voice)
He: Well done
She: So can I?
He: Can I what?
She: You know they don't give us caviar.
He: Where?
She: In the "crazy house" in Paris (I only can guess Mental assylum) they didn't give us caviar for two years...
He: Completely losing interest in his sandwich which remains half eaten in his hand... Is that why you ran away, then?
She: I didn't run, they let me go, I am much-much better!!!
He: (doubtfully) I see...
She: So can I take some of the caviar with my hand, since I have washed it?!!
He: Passing the sandwich, Here you are have it...
She: pointing at his bottle of ice tea: Is it peach flavoured?
He: opening the bottle and passing it to her: Yes, have it (quite pale by now and speaking with a voice of the condemned)...

3 comments:

Miranda Barten said...

I am not over her woolen socks and flipflop's yet..but the conversation is just as strange...I really would have died to know 'their story'

Unknown said...

I love people watching in airports. That is so bizarre/intriguing!

Michelle said...

People watching is best entertainment in the world. We certainly are an interesting species!